Intentionally or unintentionally, Dale Earnhardt Jr. stirred up social media into a frenzy with a portion of this week’s Dale Jr. Download.

In the episode, titled “It Felt Like An Old Daytona Race,” Earnhardt, who hasn’t competed in the NASCAR Cup Series since the 2017 season, said that after the 2026 Daytona 500, his wife, Amy, suggested that he should run the event next season in the JR Motorsports entry.

Advertisement

“Amy told me I should run the Daytona 500 next year,” Earnhardt revealed on the Dale Jr. Download.

Which elicited a response of, “Really?” from the staff on his show.

Earnhardt responded, “Yeah. I was like, what?”

The NASCAR Hall of Famer continued, “We were laying in bed Sunday night after the race, and she was like, ‘You should just drive it next year,’ and I’m like, ‘Hello? Pardon me? What’d you say? Are you okay?'”

After the episode went live, social media was buzzing about a potential return to the Great American Race for Earnhardt, the 2004 and 2014 winner of the iconic event. However, as things started to build on X, Earnhardt snuffed out the flames that had been stoked.

Advertisement

In a response to the question of if we could possibly see Earnhardt driving the JR Motorsports entry in the Daytona 500 in 2027, Earnhardt responded, “I only wanted folks to know Amy wasn’t to blame for my retirement back in the day. I felt she got some unnecessary blame back then. I won’t be racing cup but she’s not the reason.”

Read the full article here

Leave A Reply