PORT ST. LUCIE — Brett Baty’s right hamstring discomfort is reason enough for the Mets to limit his early spring training activity.

For now, that will mean withholding Baty from the early exhibition games and waiting before giving him reps in right field, a position he is adding this season in his shift to a utility role.

Advertisement

Access the Mets beat like never before

Join Post Sports+ for exciting subscriber-only features, including real-time texting with Mike Puma about the inside buzz on the Mets.

Try it free

Baty’s hamstring discomfort emerged about two weeks ago, according to manager Carlos Mendoza, during offseason workouts.

“He went through the physical and he is fine,” Mendoza said Tuesday. “He’s taking ground balls, he’s doing pretty much everything, but before we put him out there in the outfield, especially, we have time.”

Baty isn’t the only player who will be restricted early. Mendoza said Luis Robert Jr., given his history of lower-body injuries, won’t play in the early exhibition games.

Advertisement

Francisco Alvarez, who played banged up down the stretch last season, will also be withheld from the early exhibition games. All will continue to participate in full-squad workouts.

New York Mets Third Baseman Brett Baty fields grounders at first base during Spring Training at Clover Field, Sunday, Feb. 15, 2026, in Port St. Lucie, FL. Corey Sipkin for the NY POST

Brandon Waddell will receive the starting pitching assignment for Saturday’s Grapefruit League opener against the Marlins at Clover Park, according to Mendoza.

The lefty Waddell served as a swingman last season, pitching to a 3.45 ERA in 11 appearances for the team.

New York Mets Brandon Waddell throws a pitch during the fifth inning when the New York Mets played the Miami Marlins Sunday, August 31, 2025 at Citi Field in Queens, NY. Robert Sabo for NY Post

New York Mets Brandon Waddell throws a pitch during the fifth inning when the New York Mets played the Miami Marlins Sunday, August 31, 2025 at Citi Field in Queens, NY. Robert Sabo for NY Post

Mendoza discounted the notion that Juan Soto is more comfortable this year in spring training than a year ago, when he first arrived to the Mets.

“I see the same guy that we saw last year,” Mendoza said. “We saw a lot of smiles and how much fun they were having in the dugout.

“He knows a lot of the faces already.”

Read the full article here

Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version