Former South Africa striker Benni McCarthy says Jose Mourinho should apologise for his “very wrong” comments after the alleged racial abuse of Real Madrid winger Vinicius Jr.
The Brazil forward scored the only goal in Real Madrid’s 1-0 Champions League win against Benfica on Tuesday.
Advertisement
Vinicius was booked for his goal celebration and the match was halted for 10 minutes shortly afterwards when the Brazilian reported alleged racist abuse from winger Gianluca Prestianni.
Uefa have since opened an investigation into the claims, which Prestianni denies.
Speaking after the match, Benfica boss Mourinho – who was sent off late in the game for arguing with the referee – said Vinicius had been “disrespectful” with his goal celebration and pointed to the club’s legendary striker Eusebio as proof that Benfica is not a racist club.
But McCarthy, who won the Champions League under Mourinho at Porto in 2004, says the Portuguese made a “mistake” with his comments.
Advertisement
“The situation, he could have handled it better or chosen his words better but emotions got the best of him,” McCarthy told BBC World Service presenter Isaac Fanin.
“I know the statement he made was very wrong. But we’re all human, we all make mistakes.
“When it comes from somebody I know personally and I know how he feels about our continent and our people and the players that play for him, he’s the most stand-up guy that any African player will ever play for.
“I think it was an emotional decision, tough, where he maybe made a call and it wasn’t the right call which he will later, hopefully come out and say that he made a mistake because that’s what I would like to think, that’s the kind of man he is.”
Advertisement
Vinicius, who has been a victim of numerous incidents of racist abuse during his playing career, later said in a post on Instagram: “Racists are, above all, cowards.”
Benfica have defended Prestianni and claim there is a “defamation campaign” against the Argentine.
Prestianni, who could face a minimum 10-match ban from European competition if found guilty, denied directing racial abuse at Vinicius.
‘People aren’t open to talking about it’
On Thursday, Chelsea head coach Liam Rosenior said there must be a zero-tolerance policy applied to anyone found guilty of racist behaviour in football.
Advertisement
He said: “If any player, any coach or any manager is found guilty of racism, they shouldn’t be in the game. It’s as simple as that.”
The former Hull City boss added that the problems were not confined to football and that racism is a problem across society.
“A lot of things (need to change), this is a very complex situation when you speak about race or gender. There are a lot of things that need to change in society,” said Rosenior.
“It sickens me to be honest. I think there’s a wider debate than football. I think there needs to be more accountability for these things that need to be stamped out.
Advertisement
McCarthy agrees that the problem of racism extends far beyond football.
“In society today, people aren’t open to talking about it. We still don’t have these conversations,” he said.
“There’s one race that wants to have this conversation and the other race isn’t ready. In anger, you can come out with a phrase like that but you’re quick to say I’m not a racist.
“Yet you use the underlying racist thing when you’re angry. For this problem to go away, both parties and both races have to be willing to talk about these things.”
Watch highlights of every Champions League game from 22:00 on Wednesday on BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport website and app.
Advertisement
There will also be a Champions League Match of the Day on BBC One on Wednesday, from 22:40 to 00:00.
Read the full article here


